Hello my dears!
Today’s post is again a special one – it is my guest post for Sarah from Hidden Sweet Treats. She made a lovely cupcake recipe for me including some of my favourite ingredients and I made this recipe here for here inspired by some of her favourite flavours. The result was really amazing! I loved both the texture and the taste of these wonderful little hearts.
At the bottom, there’s a tender, creamy pecan nut caramel and on top sits a lovely cinnamon roll in heart shape based on the Swiss “Hefe-Schnecke”. And of course, there’s much more to the filling than only cinammon: The filling also involves hazelnuts, more pecan nuts, cream and an apple.
Thanks to this apple, my hearts are not too sweet and, in addition, they’re also incredibly moist and soft, thanks to the apricot jam and the caramel. Besides – I simply love baking with yeast, especially in winter! When the dough rises and transforms, that’s almost like magic to me…
In that sense, enjoy this magical time – it’s the most wonderful time of the year!
P.S. Check out the guest post here!
Heart Cinnamon Rolls with Apple, Hazelnuts and Pecan Nut Caramel
active preparation time: about 1 h
(plus rising for about 1.5 h)
yield: about 20 hearts (if you don’t have heart shaped forms, you can also use a muffin tin)
- 120g pecan nuts (finely chopped)
- 90g butter
- 150g muscovado sugar
- 10 tbsp. cream
- 300g flour
- 5g salt
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 70g butter, softened
- 20g fresh yeast
- 1 dl warm milk
- 1 egg
- 120g ground hazelnuts
- 30g finely chopped pecan nuts
- 3 tbsp. muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 apple
- ½ lemon, zest
- 4-6 tbsp. cream
- about 100g apricot jam
- For the caramel: Finely chop the pecan nuts. Put butter, sugar and cream into a small pot and bring to the boil while constantly stirring. Cook the mixture at a rapid boil for 1 minute, then take it off the stove and add the pecan nuts. Evenly distribute the caramel into the heart forms.
- Sieve the flour into a big bowl. Add salt.
- Warm the butter, whisk until cream. Then, add it to the flour mixture. Stir.
- Dissolve the fresh yeast and the sugar in the slightly warmed milk while stirring.
- Form a little well in the flour mixture and pour the yeast-milk into this well. Add the egg. Stir until the dough sticks together.
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured working surface and knead well for at least 8 minutes.
- Flour the dough and put it into a clean bowl. Cover with a slightly wet kitchen towel. Let it rise in a warm place for 45-60 min.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling: Combine the ground hazelnuts, finely chopped pecan nuts, sugar, peeled and grated apple, lemon zest and cream in a small bowl. Add another tablespoon of cream, if the mixture is too dry. Set aside.
- Punch the risen dough back and form a thin (2-3 mm) rectangle. Cover it with the filling. Roll it from the long side.
- Push the roll firmly together (maybe you have to roll it again). Cut the roll into slices of about 2-3 cm. Lay the slices into the heart forms and press them carefully onto the caramel. Let the hearts rise (covered by a kitchen towel) in a warm place for another 20-30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Bake the hearts for about 15-20 minutes. When they’re done, take them out of the oven and brush them with apricot jam (which you have previously heated in a pot) while they’re still warm.
- Let the hearts cool down on a cooling rack or enjoy them warm – as you prefer it.
To get a printed version: Download the pdf.
(Both English and German versions available!)
Heart Cinnamon Rolls with Apple, Hazelnuts and Pecan Nut Caramel (Recipe English)
Hefeteig-Herzen mit Apfel, Zimt und Pekannuss-Karamell (Rezept Deutsch)