Hello my dears!
It’s already the third of December – time has really been flying lately! Only 22 days until Christmas, and this year I’m getting an early present: the recipe of these absolutely scrumptious looking beauties!
Sarah from the wonderful blog Hidden Sweet Treats has invented it just for me and chosen some of my favourite flavours to be the stars of her creation. When she showed me the first pictures, I felt that I could almost taste them from afar…and I cannot wait to try this recipe myself VERY soon! 🙂
But now – the stage is yours, Sarah – and thank you so very much for this fabulous recipe!
Hello everyone! I’m Sarah, the one behind the blog „Hidden Sweet Treats“ (www.hiddensweettreats.blogspot.ch). Being a guest on Bettina’s wonderful blog makes me really happy, because I love the baked goods she creates.
After we decided to bake something for each others blogs, I asked her if she had any wishes and she told me her favourite ingredients. The stars of my creation made part of them: chocolate, coffee, Baileys Irish Cream and macadamia nuts. As you can see, I baked some delicious cupcakes. They start with a moist and fluffy chocolate dough that I flavoured with some coffee, continue with a Baileys Irish Cream frosting made of creamcheese and whipped cream and end with some slightly salted and roasted macadamia nuts. The combination of these flavours is just amazing, the ingredients go together perfectly. And because of the coffee in the cakes and the fact that there isn’t that much sugar in the topping, they aren’t too sweet. Absolutely delicious.
Thank you Bettina for having me on your blog, it was a great pleasure!
Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Baileys Frosting and Macadamia Nuts
(for 10-12 cupcakes)
What you need:
- for the cupcakes:
- 100g dark chocolate
- 125g butter
- 120g sugar
- 1dl espresso
- 1dl milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 egg
- 135-140g flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 20g cacao powder
- 1 pinch of salt
for the frosting:
- 30g butter
- 200g cream cheese (e.g. Philadelphia)
- ½-1dl Baileys
- 2-3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. cacao powder
- 1 tsp. gelatine express powder (e.g. Dr. Oetker)
- 1dl cream
- ½ sachet whipping cream stiffener (e.g. Dr. Oetker)
- 50g macadamia nuts
- 1-2 pinches of salt
How to do it:
- Prepare a muffin tin for 10 to 12 cupcakes. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the butter into small cubes. Chop the chocolate and put it together with the butter over a bain-marie. Mix flour, baking powder, cacao, salt and vanilla in a bowl. Put the chocolate-butter mixture into another bowl and let it cool down. Add sugar, milk and espresso; whisk well. Add the egg and whisk again. Add the flour mixture and whisk until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the dough into the prepared muffin tin (each muffin liner should be about 2/3 full) and bake for 20-25 minutes. Check on the muffins after about 20 minutes, if necessary bake for a few more minutes. (Mine were perfect after 23 minutes.) Take them out of the oven and let them cool down completely.
- For the frosting: Whip the butter until creamy. Add cream cheese, Baileys, powdered sugar and cacao and continue to whisk while adding the gelatine express powder. Taste and add more powdered sugar or Baileys if you like. Whisk the cream in a separate bowl until stiff together with the whipping cream stiffener. Fold the cream carefully into the cream cheese mixture. Put the frosting into a piping bag with a round nozzle and put it into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Chop the macadamia nuts and roast them in a pan (without fat). Put them into a bowl and season them with 1-2 pinches of salt.
- Distribute the frosting onto the cupcakes, put the macadamia nuts on to and enjoy.
Recipe by Sarah from Hidden Sweet Treats
To get a printed version: Download the pdf. (Both English and German versions available!)