It was a fantastic summer! Hot days and warm evenings with plenty of swims and ice cream to cool down. When I look out of my window right now, I could almost get a bit nostalgic. Only yesterday it was about 30°C hot and sunny. We seemed to be in mid-summer – and now: rain, rain, rain and it feels as though summer had disappeared in the blik of an eye and would not return.
As some sort of last tribute to this wonderful season, let me present you my absolutely favourite ice cream of the summer: Stracciatella Ice Cream! The secret lies in the chocolate which is not chopped but added in a melted state to the cooling ice cream. SO good!
The good thing is, they can take away our beloved summer – but never our ice cream!
Stracciatella Ice Cream (the very BEST!)
Preparation time: 20 min
Total time: 30-40 min (with an ice cream machine)
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 (fresh) egg yolks
- 1 cup cream
- 120g dark, bittersweet chocolate
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl.
- Put milk, sugar and vanilla bean (scratched out) into a pot and bring to the boil. Let it cool down for a bit, then, pour it carefully into the egg yolk mixture (while whisking). Put the mixture on a bain-marie or (carefully!) back into the pot and heat again until the mixture thickens.
- Put the cream into a big bowl. Sieve the milk mixture into that bowl and whisk to combine.
- Put the ice cream mixture into the fridge and let it cool down.
- Put the raspberry ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Shortly before the ice cream is done with churning, add the melted chocolate slowly (in a thin spurt) to the still cooling mixture. That will give you the perfect Stracciatella chocolate chips.
- For a soft texture consume right now, for a firmer texture place it into a container and put it into the freezer as long as you like.
(recipe after Phil Torre from „http://italianchef.com/“)
To get a printed version:
Download the pdf. (Both English and German versions available!)