Biscotti are like a holiday in Italy on the beach: simple, straight forward and long-lasting! While you can keep the memories of the bella vita italiana in your mind, you can easily store the biscotti for quite some time in a cookie box. The reason for this is, that they’re “bis-cotti“: twice baked.
This is also why I often choose them, when I want to surprise someone with a parcel via post, which I did in just this case. In fact, I also made another sort of biscotti – I’m going to share that recipe with you sometime soon!
P.S. By the way, I was really excited when I watched The Great British Bake Off this week and discovered that they had to make biscotti, too – it seems as if there were biscotti everywhere at the time and I love it!
Italian Biscotti with Hazel and Macadamia Nuts and Two Sorts of Chocolate
Preparation time: about 25 min
Baking time: 25 min + 14 min
Yield: about 25 biscotti
- 280g flour
- 50g ground hazel nuts
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 vanilla bean (scraped out)
- 100g white sugar
- 75g muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 45g butter, melted and cooled
- 100g dark bittersweet chocolate
- 75g white chocolate
- 50g coarsely chopped hazel nuts, roasted without fat
- 50g coarsely chopped macadamia nuts, roasted without fat
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tin with baking parchment.
- Sieve flour, baking soda and baking powder into a medium bowl. Add ground hazel nuts, salt, vanilla and sugar.
- Mix the eggs (at room temperature) with the melted and cooled butter. Stir into the dry mixture.
- Chop the chocolate into small dices and add together with the coarsely chopped and roasted nuts to the mixture.
- Halve the dough and form it into two „logs“ (about 22cm long and 6cm wide). Put them next to each other but with enough space in-between onto the baking tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 25 min. Let them cool down for about 20 min on the baking tin. This is important – otherwise the biscotti will fall apart when you attempt to cut them.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C.
- Put the “logs” on a breadboard and cut with a serrated knife slightly diagonally into 1,5cm thick slices. Put the slices on the baking tin (cut side up/down).
- Bake at 170°C for 7 minutes. Then carefully flip the biscotti over and bake for another 6-8 minutes until golden brown. Let them cool down completely on a cooling rack. Store in a cookie box.
(recipe adapted from „Backen – I love baking“ by Cynthia Barcomi)
To get a printed version: Download the pdf. (Both English and German versions available!)