In fact, I’ve already baked these wonderfully fruity cupcakes a few days before my last exam as real little studying booster, but I didn’t have enough time to write this blog post until now. Still, it would be fantastic to celebrate the end of exams with them and you never know – maybe I’ll bake some more later today.
They’re very easy to make and the frosting is a real discovery – without butter, but still so creamy and perfect to pipe! The dough is moist and fruity and goes very well with this frosting. Also, I’m a real fan of the colours you can create with blackberries!So, what are you waiting for? – Bake! Even if your exams aren’t over yet… 😉
Blackberry Cupcakes with Mascarpone-Cream Cheese-Frosting
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Preparation time: 25 min
Baking time: 18-21 min
|For the Muffins:
75g butter (softened)
zest of ½ a lemon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
75ml buttermilk (lukewarm)
2 tsp. baking powder
|For the frosting:
100g cream cheese
1 tbsp. confectioners‘ sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. blackberry jam; sieved, if you like
For the decoration:
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Wash, dry and blend the blackberries and blueberries; set aside.
- Whisk the softened butter until creamy. Add sugar; continue to whisk. Add one egg at a time and whisk until the mixture is light. Add lemon zest, vanilla extract and salt.
- Add the (not too cold!) buttermilk and whisk again.
- Mix flour and baking powder and sieve on top of the mixture. Add the blended berries and whisk carefully until the mixture is just about combined.
- Use a teaspoon to distribute the dough equally into the 12 muffin liners. They should be filled up to about ¾.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 18-21 minutes, check whether they’re done using a small stick and take them out of the oven. Let them cool down completely.
- For the frosting: Put mascarpone, cream cheese, confectioners‘ sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice into a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add the blackberry jam and a few blackberries (maybe already blended). Put the frosting into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe small heaps onto the muffins. Decorate each cupcake with a blackberry.
To get a printed version: Download the pdf. (Both English and German versions available!)