Creating these cupcakes made me so happy and giving them to some friends to make their stressful pre-Christmas time a bit more relaxing and festive even more!
I made the trees myself and used some bought cupcake toppers to join those little cuties on the muffins. Below you can read how easily the trees are made.
I wish you a wonderful Advent season with many lovely calm momentes despite everything that needs to be done/studied etc. Make the most of this magical time and, of course, don’t forget to bake these very Christmassy muffins! 😉
Preparation time: about 1h 20 min
Baking time: 18-22 min
Yield: 6 cupcakes (for 12 cupcakes: double everything)
| Ingredients (for the muffins):
2 tbsp. cacao powder
1 tsp. baking powder
30g muscovado sugar
1 tsp. vanilla sugar
½ TL gingerbread seasoning
1 small pinch of salt
40g milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
40 dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 tbsp. milk
40g butter, softened
| Furthermore you need:
100g green fondant
sugar decoration (stars, hearts, snowflakes, pearls, …)
4 tbsp. confectioner‘s sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 small brush
if you like: some cupcake toppers
6 (Christmassy) paper muffin liners
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375° F). Line a muffin tin with 6 (if possible Christmassy) paper muffin liners.
- Sieve cacao, flour, baking powder and gingerbread seasoning into a bowl. Add muscovado sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and chopped chocolate. Mix with warm, softened butter.
- Mix egg and milk and add to the flour mixture. Don’t overwhisk, otherwise the muffins won’t get fluffy and light.
- Distribute the dough equally into the 6 muffin liners. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the dough has risen and feels elastic when poked with a finger.
- Let the muffins cool down in the muffin tin for 2 minutes. Then, take them out and let them cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- Divide the green fondant into 6 parts. Form 6 small cones.
- Cut with small (if possible, slightly bent scissors) to create the tree’s branches. (Tip: Put the fondant onto a toothpick to make decorating easier.)
- Mix confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice and apply the icing onto the little stars/hearts/snowflakes/pearls with your little brush. “Glue” them onto the tree.
- Put the trees onto toothpicks. Stick the toothpicks into the muffins and decorate with some Christmassy cupcake toppers if you wish.
(recipe of the chocolate muffins inspired by “Mini-Muffins & mehr“ byJoanna Farrow)
To get a printed version: Download the pdf.
(Both English and German versions available!)