I’m afraid I’ve got a bit of a problem with cupcakes. I mean – they look so fabulous: a lovely muffin decorated with a beautiful frosting. But there’s the rub. I don’t like buttercream. It’s not just that it is about as unhealthy as it can get (that alone could probably not stop me, at least not completely 😉 ) it’s also that I really dislike the taste of it.
Fortunately, I’ve discovered a couple of frostings which aren’t based on butter and still look fantastic. Mernique frosting is one possibility (as shown in the Chai-Latte-Cupcakes recipe) – and here’s another one.
It’s based on mascarpone – not exactly healthy but way better than butter and, in my opinion, much tastier.
This vanilla-mascapone frosting offers a lovely contrast to the chocolatey muffin – the combination is simply perfect!
Chocolate-Cupcakes with Vanilla-Mascarpone-Frosting
yield: about 24 mini-cupcakes
preparation time: 20 min
baking time: 12-15 min
for the muffins:
- 80g butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 75g muscovado sugar
- 25g white sugar
- 40g flour
- 1 TL baking powder
- 40g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 40g milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
for the frosting:
- 200g mascarpone
- 6 EL confectioners‘ sugar
- 1 TL vanilla extract
- dark couverture chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Butter a mini-muffin-tin and sift a bit of flour on it.
- Melt butter, salt and chocolate in a bowl over a bain-marie. Let it cool down for a bit.
- Whisk egg, egg yolk and sugar with an electric whisk until fluffy. Add the chocolate mixture. Sift flour and baking powder on top. Add the chopped (dark and milk) chocolate.
- Fill the batter into the mini-muffin-tun using a teaspoon. (Don’t fill them too high up – ¾ at most.)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until there is a dry crust on top of the muffins. (The batter can still be relatively moist at this point. Don’t overbake or its typical texture will be lost.)
- Let the muffins cool down for about 10 minutes in the tin. Then, take them out of the tin carefully and let them cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- For the frosting, put mascarpone, confectioners‘ sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and whisk shortly with an electric whisk. Put the mixture into a piping bag and pipe small rosettes onto each muffin. Using a vegetable peeler, make the chocolate decoration to top the cupcakes.
(recipe after “Mini-Muffins & mehr” by Joanna Farrow)
To get a printed version: Download the pdf.
(Both English and German versions available!)