Autumn has officially begun – and, while the pumkins in my garden still need a bit of time until I can harvest them, Chai-Latte powder is always at hand!
These cupcakes are cute and small and they have such a lovely flavour. I discovered the recipe about a year ago and today I just felt like baking those tiny cupcakes again. Why don’t you give it a try, too?
Yield: 24 (mini) cupcakes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
For the muffins:
- Chai-Latte instant powder (as much as for 3 Cups)
- 125g (warm) butter
- 75g muscovado sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 80g ground almonds
- 180g flour
- 5 teaspoons of baking powder
For the topping:
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 80g sugar
- confectioners’ sugar
- Boil 125ml water and pour it over the Chai-Latte powder. Let it cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Combine butter, sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisk until very creamy for about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in one egg/egg yolk at a time.
- Add ground almonds. Then, sift flour and baking powder on top. Add the Chai-Latte-mixture. (Don’t whisk too much now!)
- Fill the dough into the prepared muffins tin. Bake the muffins in the middle of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk the egg whites (with a pinch of salt) until almost stiff. Carefully add the sugar while still whisking. Whisk for 3 more minutes until the mixture is glossy and stiff.
- When they’re done, take the muffins out of the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 280°C now.
- Put muffins on a baking tin. Pipe small meringues on top of the muffins. Bake the muffins in the hot oven for 1-3 more minutes (or until the meringue is slightly brown on the edges).
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve when cooled down completely.
(recipe after “Muffins & Cupcakes – Neue Ideen für kleine Kuchen und Törtchen” by Anne Haupt)
To get a printed version: Download the pdf.
(Both English and German versions available!)