These cupcakes are a truly magical treat – celebrating both fairies and delicious strawberries! But, unlike the fairies in “Peter Pan” these beauties here definitely contain more than one “feeling” (aka flavour) at once. The combination of the dough of the muffin, the fluffy cream and the fresh, sweet strawberries is simply wonderful!
On that note I can happily confess: I do believe in fairies! (Or at least in fairy cakes. 😉 )
Strawberry Cream Fairy Cakes
for the muffins:
- 110g butter (warm and softened)
- 200g sugar
- ½ TL vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 260g flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1,25dl (½ cup) milk
for the filling:
- 1,25dl (½ cup) cream
- 2 tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- about 8 strawberries
for the decoration:
- 6 small strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°V (350°F). Prepare a muffin tin (for 12 muffins) with paper cases (alternatively, grease the tin).
- Add the softened (warm) butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a big bowl and whisk with an electric mixer.
- Add the two eggs and continue to whisk.
- Sift the flour and baking powder on top of the mixture. Fold in carefully.
- Add the milk. Stir until everything’s well combined.
- Put the mixture into the muffin tin. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely (at least 10 minutes).
- While the muffins are in the oven wash and chop the strawberries. Whisk cream with vanilla extract until stiff. Add confectioner’s sugar and chopped strawberries.
- Cut with the knife a circle into the muffins. Take off the „lid“ and cut it in half.
- Fill the hole in the muffins with the strawberry cream.
- Put the two halves of the lid with the round side next to each other on top of the cream and decorate with a strawberry half.
(recipe adapted from bowlofmush.blogspot.com)
Here you can see why these muffins are also called “butterfly cakes”.
To get a printed version: Download the pdf.
(Both English and German versions available!)