These scones contain several wonderful flavours which go very well together: Macadamia nuts, dried cranberries and chunks of dark chocolate (so many good things at once!). Therefore, I prefer to eat them “plain”, but obviously you could also enjoy them with clotted cream and jam…they’re fantastic either way!
Macadamia-Cranberry-Scones with Dark Chocolate
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 18-20 minutes
Yield: 12 scones
- 280g flour
- 50g cornflour
- 50g mascobado sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt (if you use salted macadamia nuts, don’t add any salt)
- 125g butter (cold)
- 150ml buttermilk
- 1 big egg
- 1 tsp. golden syrup
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 75g macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 75g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 45g dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Prepare a baking tin with baking parchment.
- Put flour, cornflour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Quickly add the butter (which has previously been chopped in small chunks). Rub it with your fingertips into the dough until the mixture resembles grated parmesan.
- Add the grated lemon zest.
- Put buttermilk, egg and golden syrup into another bowl and whisk lightly. Then, pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir only a bit, just until the dough forms.
- Add the chopped nuts and chocolate as well as the cranberries. Stir lightly.
- Transfer the dough onto a work surface and form a disc (about 2cm high). Divide the disk into 12 equal portions. Form 12 round scones and put them onto the baking tin (maybe you will need two baking tins for all 12 scones).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the scones are slightly golden. Let them cool down on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
(recipe adapted from Cynthia Barcomi’s „Backen – I love baking“)
To get a printed version: Download the pdf.
(Both English and German versions available!)