I love small sweets. They look cute and whenever you feel like it you can walk past the tray and grab another one.
These Croatian Chocolate Coconut Cubes are soft and the icing makes them slightly moist, which is especially nice in summer.
Today, I baked them for the first time – and I can tell you it was super easy. So, don’t hesitate – give it a shot!
Croatian Chocolate Coconut Cubes
Yield: about 30 cubes (1.5×1.5 inches)
Preparation time: 50 minutes; including baking (18-20 min)
|For the cubes:
25g of softened butter
125g of sugar
1 sachet of vanilla sugar
150g of flour
½ a sachet of baking powder
75ml (about ⅓ cup) of milk
|For the chocolate coconut icing:
150g of sugar
100g of dark chocolate
100ml (a bit less than ½ a cup) of milk
75g of butter
150g of desiccated coconut
For the cubes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Combine butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and the egg in a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and baking powder and sift on top of the egg mixture. Then, stir carefully.
- Add the milk and stir to create a smooth mixture.
- Fill the egg mixture into an angular shaped form of about 8×12 inches (or, alternatively, into a round form with a diameter of about 12 inches). Smooth the surface.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 18-20 minutes (until golden brown). Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool down.
For the chocolate coconut icing:
- Put sugar, dark chocolate and milk into a small pot and let it boil shortly. Then, take it away from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the butter until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Put the desiccated coconut into a bowl.
- Cut the cake into squares of about 1.5×1.5 inches.
- Dip the cubes into the coconut chocolate icing first and flip them in the desiccated coconut afterwards. Then, let them dry on a sheet of baking parchment.
(recipe after Nina Perusic (from chefkoch.de))
To get a printed version: Download the pdf.
(Both English and German versions available!)