It’s getting dangerous. Very dangerous. The Cookie Monsters are coming!
And even if they don’t end up eating your entire cookie supply they will at least charm so much that you absolutely have to bake them. I mean it.
These little cuties are very easy to make. The only problem is that they’re so lovely you will have a hard time actually eating one. But no worries – you can always create them anew!
recipe for 12 muffins
preparation time: 45 minutes
total time: about 4 hours (including baking, letting cool down and dry)
- 120g of butter (softened; at room temperature)
- 200g of sugar
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g of flour
- 1 sachet of baking powder
- 125ml (½ a cup) of milk
- 100g of chocolate drops/chopped dark chocolate
- 125g of marzipan
- 200g of confectioner’s sugar
- 100g of desiccated coconut
- blue food colouring
- 6 chocolate cookies (home-made or bought)
for the decoration:
- Put desiccated coconut in a bowl and colour it with blue food colouring. (I suggest you use rubber gloves for this.) Spread desiccated coconut on a baking tin and let it dry (e.g. overnight). Then, put it back into a bowl.
for the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Put 12 (if possible, blue) cupcake cases into the muffin tin.
- Whisk softened butter, sugar and vanilla sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and continue whisking.
- Combine flour and baking powder and sift them on top of the mixture. Add milk and whisk carefully until smooth.
- Put 24 chocolate drops aside; add the rest to the mixture.
- Fill the mixture into the cupcake cases. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Take the muffin tin out of the oven. Let the muffins rest in the tin for a few minutes, then, let them cool down completely on a kitchen tray.
for the decoration:
- For the eyes: knead marzipan and 75g of confectioner’s sugar together. Form 24 little spheres. Press the chocolate drops into the spheres to create the pupils.
- Combine the remaining 125g of confectioner’s sugar, blue food colouring and a little bit of water to create the icing.
- Cover the tops of the muffins with the icing. (Make sure you keep some icing for the eyes.) Then, dip the muffins head first into the blue desiccated coconut.
- Carefully, cut a slit into each muffin and put half a chocolate cookie into that slit to create the mouth.
- Glue the eyes with a bit of icing onto the muffins and let everything dry for 2-3 hours.
(recipe after „Fun Food – Kreative Ideen aus der Küche“)
To get a printed version: Download the pdf.
(Both English and German versions available!)